Southwark Cathedral Screen and Reredos
Bishop Fox of Winchester erected the screen and reredos in 1520. Although the general appearance of the screen, with three broad rich bands of carvings and statuary, is that of the original, most of the detail is from later periods, according to according to the church website.
“Whether all the original statues were ever installed is uncertain, as the screen was completed within a decade of the Reformation when such statues were forbidden. The small carvings of the Lamb of God and the pelican (a badge of Bishop Fox) immediately above the rows of angels are probably original, as are some of the bases of the niches. The small carvings in the corners of the two doorways, showing hunting scenes, may also be original.”
In 1703 the screen was concealed by a painted wooden screen with the Lord's Prayer, Creed, the Ten Commandments, a dove descending with a group of cherubs 'heads' and topped with flaming urns. This screen was removed in 1833, and the niches restored and three rows of carved angels added. The statues were added from 1905 onwards and depict people with an historical connection to Southwark.”
The hanging wool strands are an installation called ’40 days’ from artist Angela Wright during Lent 2014. Her installation is made of wool from 40 different countries.