This photo is the massive Chartres organ, installed in 1969, which sits on the side of the church. Nothing is known about the original Chartres organ made in 1349; it was reconstructed in 1475, 1542, 1614-1615. During the French Revolution, the organ was barely used. It was restored again in 1844 and a major renovation began in 1911. See Pleasures of the Pipes for more detail and sound clips from the organ.