Trinity Church Reredos and Stained Glass Windows (windows designed by Richard Upjohn and reredos by Frederick Clarke Withers)
According to the Trinity website, the stained glass windows are considered to be some of the oldest in the U.S. The windows were made on site, in a shed erected in the churchyard during the church's construction. Church architect Richard Upjohn (1802-1878) designed the windows.
Upjohn was an English-born architect who emigrated to the U.S. and became most famous for his Gothic Revival churches. He was partially responsible for launching the movement to such popularity in the U.S. Upjohn, along with 13 other architects, co-founded the American Institute of Architects in 1857. He served as president from 1857 to 1876. The Trinity website has a list of the hundreds of U.S. churches designed by Upjohn.
Upjohn is honored together with architect Ralph Adams Cram and artist John LaFarge with a feast day on the liturgical calendar of the Episcopal Church (USA) on December 16.
In 1876-1877 a reredos and altar was erected in memory of William Backhouse Astor, Sr., to the designs of architect Frederick Clarke Withers.